Sunday, April 25, 2021

How do you decide what to do with your embroidery?

 Working from home gives me the chance to pick up embroidery to stitch while I listen to a webinar or a meeting, rather than doodling, or trying to multitask which means I neither get the most out of the meeting, nor do the best job on the task. So I've been getting lots of pieces done, which means framing, which means putting them somewhere.

Case in point, when I finished Becky Hogg's Foxy a few weeks ago, I still had the hedgehog and sleeping fox from Helioblue waiting to be put up. And my Japanese bridge and waterlilies. So, my husband and daughter helped me - they have a much better eye for arrangement and I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, so things are always crooked. And we ended up with this.


The blue x is where I've left a space for the Helioblue badger when it comes out. The thing is, the wall opposite this is filled with samplers, and the side walls have a window, and a cupboard and door, so there isn't much more wall space. I still have stuff I'm working, in fact, last weekend I finished this daffodil from the RSN, based on the Bacton Alter cloth that was made out of a dress belonging to Elizabeth I (kits here https://royal-needlework.org.uk/product/the-lost-dress-of-elizabeth-i-embroidery-kits/

And I finished stitching the mistletoe a while ago. Not only do I have to find a place to put these two, I had to find a hoop or frame that looked good, and now I have to find a spot on the wall!


Plus, there are two other Bacton Altar Cloth kits, which were out of stock when these two were ordered, so I'll want those eventually. 

In the past, I've gone on gift giving stints so I don't have to worry about where to put things. I've made pillows, but there is a limit to the number of pillows one needs, although they do wear out eventually. I've made pin cushions and scissor fobs, and while I've discovered I can use more than I thought possible (one for each project I'm working on), I still can only make so many. I've made tons of lavender sachets for myself and as gifts. 

I do have some trinket boxes and a casket to cover, but I need a few less demanding projects to work on while I watch TV or have a few minutes to wait. 

My husband doesn't think he'll have a problem fitting more in, and he may be right since he has a huge number of photos, artwork, and space memorabilia on his office walls. Or maybe I'll use my librarian skills and weed a few things out. Only time will tell. 




1 comment:

Rachel said...

You might find that mounting several of the Bacton pieces together would make it easier to find space on the wall. I know that's a bit odd because it would make one large thing rather than several smaller ones, but it would reduce the amount of lining up to do!