Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Herringbone TAST week 1



Well, here we go. A day late due to some committments yesterday, but I did get to do some herringbone. I tried basic open and closed herringbone, then I tried stacking to see what sort of fill pattern you would get with in line and half off. Either would make a nice garden trellis depending on the size you wanted. I had to try some wrapped herringbone because I like the curves against the angles. I'm rather partial to the four colour woven strip of double herringbone (quadrouple herringbone?), but I might choose different colours next time. And of course I had to try flowers - just added straight stitches for the stem and French knots to fill in the flowers.

I picked up 4x6 cards at the office store to fit in the photo album I'm using as a stitch sample book. I had originally thought to put a description on half the card and stick my sample on the other half but now that I've started I think I'll put descriptions on one card in the top pocket and samples on another card in the pocket below (each page has 2 4x6 pockets) - that way I can write more and reference any books used. In this case, I looked at Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Needlework where she suggested that up to six colours could be used for the double herringbone - muddling through 4 colours was enough.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I love your flowers! The layering looks great as well.

Mandy said...

Those flowers work well. Its a lovely sampler.

Susan said...

This is a terrific sampler. I like your photo album idea. I cut some linen pieces to 6" square yesterday, but I could make them smaller and have strips left for blocks!

The flowers and the layering are, of course, favorites, but all of your stitching is so tidy!