Tuesday, January 30, 2007

ORCHIDS

I LOVE orchids! Ever since I saw the pansies in posy holders made by Marsha Papay-Gomola at EGA National I have been thinking about making a 3-D stumpwork orchid. Well, one of the Stitching Post members did one that is wonderful. I hope this link works:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/celeste_stitch/photo/294928804206158194/0

Celeste mentions that she has a couple of orchids in bloom at home that she will try next. Not wanting to wait for mine to bloom (I have three sending up buds right now) I went to the Lewis Ginter Botanic Garden in Richmond, VA and had my fill of orchids at the conservatory. Here is a selection of photos - my husband took them while I just stood and stared! Imagine dozens of orchids like these in a tropical waterfall setting - pictures can't do it justice.




I am working on a daffodil for my spring bouquet right now but as soon as I figure out how to do these colours, I think I'll try an orchid.

No comments: