Wednesday, January 31, 2007

TAST 5 Chevron stitch

Evidently I'm not the only one who has problems using the good materials. I was surfing around the TAST webring and came upon Lisa of Enter The Stitcher and along with her week 4 stitching she writes about what she has learned, including:

"The world will not end if I use my stash. Seriously, I had no problem dipping into my fabric and pulling out the biggest piece of linen I had on hand (18"x27" of 32 ct. Belfast linen), but working with threads other than ones I was sure I would use any time soon, oh the horror. Needless to say, I'm over it. Thread can be replaced, easily. Especially DMC."



As I was contemplating what to do with the Chevron this week, I saw Christine's pyramid at Lady Jane's Journal which made me think of filling stitch for crewel work, something I've always admired but never tried. So I started to create an block of Chevron which was fine at first when the diamond pattern was formed, but then I didn't like my next variation. At that point, I was reminded of Florentine patterns and did the next rows which I do like. This week I used some DMC perle cotton that I have never used. I really like the sheen of this thread (the pinks). The blues are DMC craft thread from a multicolour pack. It is softer than the perle and has no sheen and untwists easily so I can't see using it too much for embroidery. I can see the appeal of the perle for cq seams though because it shows up much better than the usual floss I work with. I'll have to get a nice selection for the cq block I've started.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I enjoyed looking at your stitching. I hadn't seen anyone do so many rows stacked, and I like that effect very much.

Lisa said...

Christine's pyramid has inspired me too!
And thank you for the quote. I'm tickled pink!