Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thinking of Spring

As a gardener, I've always started thinking of spring flowers in January. Even though they come sooner here in VA than they did in Canada, I still long for spring. And the two yellow crocus that came out during the heat wave last weekend don't count for me.

So I made my own tulip to help me feel like spring is coming. This is for the posy holder in my earlier post:Life, needlework and everything: Lapel pins



When I first finished the tulip, my husband said " This is your best yet but what about inside? People are going to look inside." So I went back to the drawing board and finished the inside.



Then I made a leaf of detached buttonhole in a wire frame. All in all, I'm very happy with the way it has turned out, since it really was a total experiment with no planning. I'm still not sure about what to do with the stem though. The consensus here at home is that the floral tape is fine but part of me feels that it should be covered in thread. But then it will be thicker and won't look in proportion to the flower. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Susan D said...

What can I say but wow!!! Isn't it amazing what you can do with some threads.

celeste said...

This turned out beautiful! I don't think you should change a thing.

Margaret said...

Thanks for the comments. Given how wonderful your stumpwork is Celeste, your opinion not to change it is especially helpful and appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Margaret, this is so amazing...you have just become such an expert stitcher with this stumpwork! What a gorgeous tulip! I would not do a thing to it.....the stem is fine in my book!

ktj

Mandy said...

I agree. This is delightful. The tulip looks just right as it is. Please don't change a thing.

crazyQstitcher said...

I agree with all the other girls. Leave the tulip as it is. It is so lovely. Maureen

MeganH said...

Beautiful!

(Hey, you can see me on your Stitchin Fingers badge = bottom left hand corner LOL)